Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fua'amotu Beach


Driving along the gravel road, my hair was blowing in the air. I turned to my right and watched a bunch of birds take flight. Palm trees were waving and I noticed we were nearly there. Fuamotu, such a beautiful beach and I couldn't wait to swim in the nice cold water.

Just so you to know, we had the WHOLE family come with us. Even the extended family. We found a shady spot which was perfect for when we were going to eat. Anyway, I rushed to the beach and dug my toes into the sand. Throwing my jandals, I rushed into the water until it was up to my knees. Suddenly a wave got me wet, my cousins laughed and we all started to swim and..... well... HAVE FUN!

One of the most exciting yet scary parts was when my cousin was dragging me to a deep part of the water. Let me explain it more specifically: As I stood on a huge rock, I stepped off, finding myself not able to reach the sand, so I quickly grabbed the rock and got back on it. Then  Fusi (my cousin) came up to me and asked me, "Hey, I'll show you something".  I said aloud "OH, I'm not going there"

 I knew she was going to take me to a deep spot so I declined. But she wouldn't take no for an answer. Laughing she pulled me off the rock and along the water where we were floating over a pit. I tried to stand up but it was helpless I couldn't reach bottom. Luckily one of my cousins Sue was on a board and so I grabbed hold of it. "PHEW!" I thought but I wasn't quite safe. A big wave was approaching. "LET GO", Sue shouted. The wave was upon us and I thought it was over forever. Sue yelled "WE'RE GONNA DIE!!". 

Fortunately the wave wasn't strong enough to push us over. Frantically swimming away I reached somewhere I could stand. It was really freaky but for some reason I thought it was kinda fun. That was because it was such a rush and it felt like life or death. 

After an hour or 2, it was time to eat. We were provided with roast pork, yam, BBQ chicken, watermelon and more. Maryanne, another one of my cousins and I sat on a mat and ate while we talked. I grabbed seconds and it was really delicious. 

Running down the sand and into the water, I was ready for round 2. Played games, swam around, dived and more but that had to come to an end. I really had a good time at Fuamotu! Especially with the family. 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful piece of writing here Gloria. You had me well and truly hooked in the first paragraph. You have recrafted this story to make it a most enjoyable read.

    Now for the jealous part....what an awesome beach and a glorious way to spend the Summer. Will you be able to tear yourself away and return to NZ? I certainly hope so and that I will see you soon.

    Safe travels
    Mrs Burt

    ReplyDelete